Spring is officially here! As you start to dream about the warmer (and longer) days ahead, you may find yourself itching to do some spring cleaning. If that’s the case, then you’re in great company. Over 75% of Americans participate in this yearly cleaning ritual that seems to be just what we need to get ready for the summer days just ahead.
But before you start going on a cleaning craze, don’t forget to tackle these five frequently forgotten areas:
1. Vacuum Your Cabinets and Drawers
You’ll be amazed at how many crumbs, hairs, and dirt particles end up in your cabinets and drawers. Spring cleaning is the perfect time to wipe away that built-up grime while also doing a bit of organizing.
- To start, empty out each cabinet or drawer and throw away what you no longer need.
- Give the inside a nice vacuum.
- Wipe down the sides and bottom with a clean damp cloth.
- Refill and reorganize your essentials, adding in only the things you absolutely need.
Having clean cabinets and drawers makes your home automatically feel cleaner!
2. Wash Your Washing Machine
Huh??? Although it sounds counterintuitive, your washer needs a washing every now and again. Your washing machine doesn’t wash itself. To make sure it’s sparkling clean on the inside, follow these five steps:
- Spritz the washer drum with white vinegar. Wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.
- Wipe around all the rubber gaskets. These gaskets are what seal your washing machine door. They’re notorious for collecting mildew, scum, and hair. (I know…gross!) So, be sure and give them a good clean.
- Run a short cycle with hot water and two cups of distilled white vinegar.
- Run a second cycle with hot water and half a cup of baking soda.
- Once the last cycle finishes, keep the door to your washing machine open, and let the machine air dry. Finish out by wiping down the door/lid, sides, and all the knobs.
Now that you’ve got it sparkline clean, plan to keep it that way by repeating the process every six months or so.
3. Wipe Down Behind Your TV and Electronics
Electronics are major dust magnets. You might be surprised by how much dust collects around your cords and devices. As you start your spring cleaning routine, be sure to dust…
- behind your TV(s)
- behind your computer, printer or monitor
- any and all cords, including your lamps, appliances, and routers
This will not only get some of the allergens out of your house, but it’ll also help increase the lifespan of your electronics!
4. Vacuum Behind Your Fridge
Even if you think you keep your kitchen super clean, take a peek underneath and behind your fridge. These are hot spots for bits of food, dust, and perhaps even mold.
Experts recommend you pull out your fridge and give it a good cleaning every three months or so. Vacuum out any dust and wipe down the walls and underneath your fridge using a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. Then make sure the fridge is fully dry before sliding it back into place.
Spring Clean These Forgotten Areas
Airing out your home and getting it squeaky clean is part of our seasonal ritual. So make sure you give these overlooked spots some extra TLC while you tackle the other items on your spring cleaning list!